Number of Exams Taken and Percent Scoring 3 or Higher
Dr. Joyce Morley (DeKalb Schools Board) – Are doing anything to help poor people get access to more tests?
Knox Phillips – Currently students on Free and Reduced Lunch (FRL) will get two free tests. One paid for by the state and one paid for by the district.
Morley – Are we doing better with AP courses in the the schools in South DeKalb? It was difficult to find people to teach the AP courses and enough students to take those courses.
Knox Phillips – 6 schools in the lead higher program are SouthWest DeKalb, Cedar Grove HS, Stone Mountain HS, Dunwoody HS, Druid Hills HS and Arabia Mountain. We chose those schools to help us with a couple of models. 1 model was access and equity in South DeKalb. It is important to have increased access, equity, course enrollment and course diversity among those schools.
We are looking at the blended learning model so that if a course can’t be offered in the school, then it’s offered in Verge, or some other medium.
We have identified over 400 students who are qualified but would not have normally self selected to enroll in an AP course.
Morley – That’s good. When we talk about Towers HS that has done a complete turn around and we don’t hear anything about them. When there was a lot of crime and a lot of problems they were always out there. Now, nobody mentions what’s going on at Towers.
Clarkston, we have all those immigrants moving forward, and Redan and encouraging them to take the courses. These are the schools where the principals are working hard, there’s been a lot of turn around and they’re holding down the fort there. Also, enable and empower the counselors to identify the students and challenge them.
Knox Phillips – It does to your point about celebrating the small wins. Towers and other schools have teachers that have been trained in AP courses.
This work to date is really speaking to the progress we’re making.
Dr. Green (Superintendent) – This is part of a whole systemic effort that ties to My Brother or My Sister’s Keeper, a resolution from the board to reduce the numbers of suspensions and increase the numbers of people in IB and AP courses.
What I’m pleased to hear is that contrary to popular belief, that when you increase the number of students that the overall score will go down. We are increasing the pipeline and the scores are going up. That’s what is most impressive to me.
Orson – Can we bring this earlier or put this in the budget. Due to the timing it’s creating some confusion as to whether or not the district is going to pay for it or not.
Stan Jester (Board of Education) – Results of the AP exames are a bellweather for how a school is doint. I’ve been extremely disappointed with the AP scores in South DeKalb in the past. If we’ve turned that around then we need to tell everybody about it. Can we see Number of Exams Taken and Percent Scoring 3 or Higher like we have in the past?
- College Admissions 101
- Graduation Schedule – DeKalb Schools Class of 2019
- DeKalb Schools 2018 CCRPI Scores
- Visitor and Volunteer Policy – Part II
- Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 2
- Make Chamblee Charter HS Better Not Bigger
- Free Speech … For Some At DeKalb Schools … Part II
- DeKalb Schools Visitor and Volunteer Policy
- DeKalb Schools 2018-2019 Calendar
- Make Lakeside HS Better Not Bigger
- DeKalb Schools 2018 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
- News & Updates – 8/30/2018
- Delay in New Austin ES Opening
- School Readiness Report 2018-2019
- GOP Governor Runoff – Kemp has the Mo
- DeKalb Teachers Get a 2.5% Raise And Start Stepping
- July 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Chamblee German Teacher Controversy
- June 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Dr. Donnie Davis – New Peachtree Charter MS Principal
- TSA & Annexation – Legal Update
- School Councils Are Now Principal Advisory Councils
- City of Brookhaven Not a Fan of Briarcliff HS Site
- Support for DCSD Bus Drivers
- DeKalb Schools FY 2019 Preliminary Budget
- DeKalb Bus Driver Sick Out
- Location of New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Where to Build the New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Policy Input – Magnet Students Participate in Sports
- Dunwoody HS Trailer Park
- Metal Detectors at YOUR School
- Building Additions – Project Plan and Schedule
- Student Protests Wed – The Plan – County by County
- School Safety – What's the Plan?
- News & Updates – 2/23/2018
- DeKalb Schools New Hires
- Mega High School Construction Update
- Virtual Learning Make Up Days
- Adequate Space Requirements For Mega High Schools
- Student Chromebooks – Update
- Survey – Making Up Days Lost to Inclement Weather
- Lakeside HS Council Not A Fan of the Building Additions
- DeKalb Schools Make Up Days
- DeKalb Schools 2018 – 2020 Calendar
- Which DeKalb Schools Are Beating The Odds
- Protesting Cheerleaders at DHS – The Whole Story
- 2018-2020 Calendar Options
- Emergency Weather – What's The Plan?
- Atlanta & Atlanta Public Schools Annexing DeKalb
- Kids Doc on Wheels Medical Van
- DeKalb Schools 2017 Turnaround, Priority & Focus Schools
- Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremonies Schedule
- 2018-2020 Calendar Update
- DeKalb Turnaround Eligible Schools Trends 2015-2017
- DeKalb Schools – Free Speech….For Some?
- Adding Classrooms is Only Part of the Soluion
- DeKalb Schools Enrollment Capacity Data
- Concerns about Lakeside HS Expansion
- DeKalb Schools 2017 CCRPI Trends
- DeKalb Schools Extends Days in November
- 2017 DeKalb Graduation Rates By High School & Demographic
- Emory Annexation and DeKalb County Schools
- DeKalb Schools – Students Kneel During National Anthem
- Teaching Sexual Behavior Standards At School
- Make Up Days – Public Input
- Plan B – Make-Up Schedule
- Make-Up Schedule – DeKalb Schools
- School Make-Up Days
- DeKalb Schools is Back in Business
- School Recovery Report – DeKalb Schools
- Detailed Status Report – DeKalb Schools
- News & Updates – DeKalb Schools – 9/10/2017
- Google Classroom Vs VERGE – Feedback
- Where Is The New Cross Keys HS Going
- Carstarphen And APS Desire To Expand Into DeKalb
- DeKalb Schools Responds To Poor Curriculum, Assessments and Planning Templates
- Feedback – Curriculum & Assessments
- Trailers at Cross Keys High School
- Monday Solar Eclipse – The Plan
- DCSD Home Football Tickets Now Available Online
- New & Vacant Principals & Assistant Principals
- DeKalb Schools Digital Dreamers
- New Laptops For All DeKalb Teachers and Students
- DeKalb Schools Extends School 1 Hour For Solar Eclipse
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Assistant Principals
- Tom McFerrin, Dunwoody HS Principal, Is OUT
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Principals
- What is the Purpose of Public Schools
- Principal and Teacher Vacancy Report And Selection Process
- TSA – Summary Judgement
- Billboard Marketing Campaign
- DeKalb Schools Convocation 2017
- DeKalb Schools – New Fund Raising Policy (KEB)
- Deficit Spending At DeKalb Schools FY2018
- DeKalb Schools FY2018 Tentative Budget
- New Doraville Elementary School – Update
- DeKalb Schools Announces Proposed Property Tax Increase
- City Building Permits For The School District
- Flooding Failing Schools With Money And Employees