Jim McMahan (Superintendent Search Ad Hoc Committee Chair)
We have spent a few months informing the board of different research processes. Currently the update right now is: We’ve issue the RFP for national search firms on Thursday August 21st. We are currently receiving information and proposals from firms. The proposal deadline is Tuesday, Sept 16th.
On Wed Sept 17 we’ll have a public proposal acknowledgement. Mon Sept 22 the responsiveness, determinations and process management by our administration will be delivered to the board. From Sept 22 to the next board meeting scheduled on Oct 6, the board will conduct finalist interviews for the search firms.
Mr. Coleman received detailed information from our communities.
Mr. McMahan just talked about where we are in the RFQ in finding a search firm. One thing we’ve requested from different communities is that they give us input as we are proceeding along. A piece of input is that the Parent Council United, which works across DeKalb in multiple schools, sent us some detailed feedback. I’d like to offer that up now and offer up an invitation to other parent councils and community organizations. As you have concerns about this process or just want to provide input/feedback to this process, please email us or come to public comments. I believe we are going to here from some folks tonight. This is going to be your Superintendent too starting sometime next summer, so it’s important to hear from you.
This is feedback we received from the PCU. We don’t necessarily agree with all of it, but this is the kind of thing we are hearing.
They were hoping that parent councils would more broadly provide input. For instance, the Emory Lavista Parent Council is going to provide input after their October 15 meeting. They want to see transparency and accountability at every step of the process. We are fully committed to that as a board. They want the board to understand the history of Superintendent searches in DeKalb. All of which have gone extremely well from what I’ve heard. And that we are aware of that history so we can learn from that.
They would like to be involved in the selection of the search firm for a Superintendent, so their community members who operate as part of that process. We seen another district go through that recently. They had an independent search committee. They would at least like to see some community participation in that process irrespective of whether we use that search committee format.
They suggested we use that search committee format and meet with the person that led that search committee to get their perspective.
They suggested that the board members rolling off continue to participate in the selection process. Mr. Thurmond is smiling at me. I’m actually reading this from the email.
They provided very valuable input on the Superintendent. A few comments, they should have experience with charters, have experience with handling ethics, perhaps even an ethics committee and make sure we’re doing that well. Experience bringing together communities in a diverse system which is important. A risk taker, political savvy, able to take a stand on issues with the state legislature and should not speak in platitudes, cliches or education jargon. [this is met with laughter from the room]
Those are just a few points of feedback. I’m sure we’ll hear from others tonight.
Dr. Melvin Johnson (DeKalb Board Chair)
I’d like to thank the ad hoc committee for your work. I do want the public to know that this is a continuous process. The board will be making various decisions as we go along, but we will keep you informed.
- DeKalb Schools 2018 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
- News & Updates – 8/30/2018
- Delay in New Austin ES Opening
- School Readiness Report 2018-2019
- GOP Governor Runoff – Kemp has the Mo
- DeKalb Teachers Get a 2.5% Raise And Start Stepping
- July 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Chamblee German Teacher Controversy
- June 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Dr. Donnie Davis – New Peachtree Charter MS Principal
- TSA & Annexation – Legal Update
- School Councils Are Now Principal Advisory Councils
- City of Brookhaven Not a Fan of Briarcliff HS Site
- Support for DCSD Bus Drivers
- DeKalb Schools FY 2019 Preliminary Budget
- DeKalb Bus Driver Sick Out
- Location of New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Where to Build the New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Policy Input – Magnet Students Participate in Sports
- Dunwoody HS Trailer Park
- Metal Detectors at YOUR School
- Building Additions – Project Plan and Schedule
- Student Protests Wed – The Plan – County by County
- School Safety – What's the Plan?
- News & Updates – 2/23/2018
- DeKalb Schools New Hires
- Mega High School Construction Update
- Virtual Learning Make Up Days
- Adequate Space Requirements For Mega High Schools
- Student Chromebooks – Update
- Survey – Making Up Days Lost to Inclement Weather
- Lakeside HS Council Not A Fan of the Building Additions
- DeKalb Schools Make Up Days
- DeKalb Schools 2018 – 2020 Calendar
- Which DeKalb Schools Are Beating The Odds
- Protesting Cheerleaders at DHS – The Whole Story
- 2018-2020 Calendar Options
- Emergency Weather – What's The Plan?
- Atlanta & Atlanta Public Schools Annexing DeKalb
- Kids Doc on Wheels Medical Van
- DeKalb Schools 2017 Turnaround, Priority & Focus Schools
- Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremonies Schedule
- 2018-2020 Calendar Update
- DeKalb Turnaround Eligible Schools Trends 2015-2017
- DeKalb Schools – Free Speech….For Some?
- Adding Classrooms is Only Part of the Soluion
- DeKalb Schools Enrollment Capacity Data
- Concerns about Lakeside HS Expansion
- DeKalb Schools 2017 CCRPI Trends
- DeKalb Schools Extends Days in November
- 2017 DeKalb Graduation Rates By High School & Demographic
- Emory Annexation and DeKalb County Schools
- DeKalb Schools – Students Kneel During National Anthem
- Teaching Sexual Behavior Standards At School
- Make Up Days – Public Input
- Plan B – Make-Up Schedule
- Make-Up Schedule – DeKalb Schools
- School Make-Up Days
- DeKalb Schools is Back in Business
- School Recovery Report – DeKalb Schools
- Detailed Status Report – DeKalb Schools
- News & Updates – DeKalb Schools – 9/10/2017
- Google Classroom Vs VERGE – Feedback
- Where Is The New Cross Keys HS Going
- Carstarphen And APS Desire To Expand Into DeKalb
- DeKalb Schools Responds To Poor Curriculum, Assessments and Planning Templates
- Feedback – Curriculum & Assessments
- Trailers at Cross Keys High School
- Monday Solar Eclipse – The Plan
- DCSD Home Football Tickets Now Available Online
- New & Vacant Principals & Assistant Principals
- DeKalb Schools Digital Dreamers
- New Laptops For All DeKalb Teachers and Students
- DeKalb Schools Extends School 1 Hour For Solar Eclipse
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Assistant Principals
- Tom McFerrin, Dunwoody HS Principal, Is OUT
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Principals
- What is the Purpose of Public Schools
- Principal and Teacher Vacancy Report And Selection Process
- TSA – Summary Judgement
- Billboard Marketing Campaign
- DeKalb Schools Convocation 2017
- DeKalb Schools – New Fund Raising Policy (KEB)
- Deficit Spending At DeKalb Schools FY2018
- DeKalb Schools FY2018 Tentative Budget
- New Doraville Elementary School – Update
- DeKalb Schools Announces Proposed Property Tax Increase
- City Building Permits For The School District
- Flooding Failing Schools With Money And Employees
- Metro Atlanta Teacher Salary Analysis
- New Fundraising Policy
- Update – DeKalb School Board Meeting 5/15
- Under-Performing Principals Reassigned
- DeKalb Schools Estimated Budget
- My Graduation Ceremony – Open Letter To DCSD
- Austin Elementary School Replacement Project Update
- Principal Norman Sauce – Chamblee Charter High School
- Plan For More Trailers in Dunwoody and Chamblee
- Another Cover Up in Dunwoody