09/30/2014 – State Of The System
State Of The System Address (page 5)
The District was removed from accredited-probation February 2014 after the following:
- On January 21, 2014, the AdvancED Accreditation Commission announced that the DeKalb County School District (DCSD) was no longer on Probation. We are now “Accredited Warned”.
- AdvancED based its decision on a comprehensive review of the DCSD in December 2013. The District completed 8 of the 11 required actions.
- The District was commended for putting programs, policies and processes in place to stabilize the school district to restore confidence and trust among stakeholder groups.
- AdvancED determined that the DeKalb County School District had made substantial progress in creating a framework for addressing the required actions by developing comprehensive and systemic processes to guide its operations. Further, AdvancED identified several areas of continued focus to ensure sustainability of efforts.
- Since January 2014, the District has continued to work on improving school board governance and leadership, while supporting the efforts of the Superintendent to identify and implement school improvement strategies and student achievement initiatives.
- The District recently hosted an AdvancED monitoring visit this past May 12-13, 2014 and presented evidence and artifacts of continued work on the Required Actions and Directives.
- The DeKalb County School District continues to make “material progress” in confronting recent challenges and in completing “required actions” mandated by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, according to a recent report by AdvancEd, the parent of SACS.
- The District will host another monitoring visit December 2014.