The New John Lewis Elementary facility located at 2630 Skyland Drive will be opening Fall 2019.
Superintendent Recommendation – First Read – Jan 7 Board Meeting
John Lewis Elementary School
• Opening August 2019
• 900+ seat school
• 500+ seats of available capacity
• John R. Lewis ES is located in the current Chamblee Cluster
• Redistricting will go into effect in August 2019
• Students rising into 5th, 8th, 11th, and 12th grades will have the option to continue in their former school, with no transportation provided
On October 2nd, October 24th, and November 27th of 2018 community meetings were held at Cross Keys HS seeking public input in the development of a plan to better utilize available capacity in John R. Lewis ES and relieve overcrowded schools in the Cross Keys cluster. Two options were presented for the 2019-2020 school year on October 24th of 2018 at Cross Keys HS in a public meeting which included facilitated, small-group discussion to gain public input related to the redistricting options. The input from the meeting was used in the development of a Staff Recommended Plan that was presented on November 27, 2018 at Cross Keys HS in another public meeting that included facilitated, small-group discussion to gain additional public input.
The input from all public meetings as well as input from an online comment form and comments from community members and parents sent to staff were used in development of the recommended plan that is being presented today.
The Superintendent’s recommended redistricting plan includes the following:
1. Redistrict approximately 22 students from Ashford Park ES to John Lewis ES
2. Redistrict no students from Dresden ES to John Lewis ES (area change only)
3. Redistrict approximately 93 students from Montclair ES to John Lewis ES
4. Redistrict approximately 213 students from Fernbank ES to John Lewis ES
5. Redistrict approximately 134 students from Woodward ES to John Lewis ES
6. Redistrict approximately 62 students from Briar Vista ES to John Lewis ES
7. Redistrict approximately 23 students from Briar Vista ES to Fernbank ES
8. Redistrict no students from Briar Vista ES to Woodward ES (area change only)
9. Redistrict no students from Laurel Ridge ES to Briar Vista ES (area change only)
10. Redistrict approximately 172 students from Laurel Ridge ES to Fernbank ES
11. Redistrict approximately 37 students from McLendon ES to Fernbank ES
12. Redistrict approximately 8 students from Chamblee MS to Sequoyah MS
13. Redistrict approximately 14 students from Chamblee HS to Cross Keys HS
This recommendation will result in a net reduction of approximately 27 portable classrooms in the Cross Keys and Druid Hills clusters and a reduction in overcrowding for next school year.
Enrollment Report 2018
Current Elementary School Attendance Zones
Current Middle School Attendance Zones
Current High School Attendance Zones
3‐Year Redistricting Process
|3-YEAR REDISTRICTING PROCESS|
|Redistricting Process||Estimated Opening||School|
|Fall 2018||Fall 2019||New John R. Lewis Elementary School|
|Fall 2019||Fall 2020||New Doraville Elementary School|
|Fall 2020||Fall 2021||Cross Keys Middle School Conversion, New Cross Keys High School, Chamblee Charter High School Building Addition|
Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 3
November 27, 2018 – The New John Lewis Brookhaven Elementary School will be opening Fall 2019 and will have over 500 additional seats of capacity. These are currently the two redistricting options being considered. Public meeting tonight to discuss.
Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 2
October 24, 2018 – The New John Lewis Brookhaven Elementary School will be opening Fall 2019 and will have over 500 additional seats of capacity. These are currently the two redistricting options being considered. Public meeting tonight to discuss.
Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
September 6, 2018 – The New John Lewis Elementary facility will be opening Fall 2019 on Skyland Drive in Brookhaven. Three meeting redistricting process for schools in Chamblee and Brookhaven will start this October.