DeKalb Schools Superintendent
Index – 2014 Summer Leadership Conference
Alice Thompson – Deputy Superintendent
If there was ever a David, we know who it is. This man has slewed many giants than any Superintendent we’ve ever had. Although there are many smooth stones, I will name five stones that he has accomplished.
1. Eliminate the budget deficit
2. Restore DeKalb County School District off probation
3. Increase student achievement through growth, which we call our GAM … Growth And Achievement
4. He reached a settlement with the biggest lawsuit in the history of DeKalb County School District
5. He restored the Cost Of Living raise for the first time in 6 years and eliminated all furlough days for teachers.
Michael Thurmond – Superintendent
Thank you Alice Thompson for your kind words and leadership as Deputy Superintendent on school leadership. Thank Dr. Johnson for his constant council and support as well as the members of the board. I want to welcome our board of elect. I want to first and foremost thank you for all you have done, working with our council of PTAs, working with our teachers and other stakeholders.
It can be said without any reasonable doubt, that at the most critical moment in the history of the DeKalb County School District, the many men and women in this room and beyond, rose to what some thought was a challenge that could not be overcome.
As I stood in the back listening and engaging this moment, I could not help but feel a sense of true pride in you … in terms of what you’ve done and what you have accomplished. David and Goliath by Gladwell is currently my favorite book and I hope you all follow through on Dr. Thompson’s assignment. There will be a pop quiz … just kidding. It’s an interesting look at how we face challenges. It’s how you have faced challenges in DeKalb County.
Cause if we could bring David from ancient times to 2014, I can tell you that at the moment David step forth, all the polls said he had no chance. I can tell you without any reservations in my mind’s eye that in 2014 all the bloggers spoke the most harsh and negative terms about him … his qualifications. And about the fact that he had no chance just like they have done for DeKalb County.
But David had something. He had what you all have. Number one, he has faith. You all have faith in public education. And you know that public education is trans formative. David had what you have, which is courage. All courage is is the ability to overcome your fears, to go places where others will not dare. All anyone, everyone can talk about somebody ought’a do something about public education. Somebody ought’a do something about those poor children. Somebody ought’a do something about that group of children. But, you are the men and women who get up every day and actually try.
David was surrounding by neh sayers. He was inundated by negativity. They told David you’ll never get off probation. They told David that you’re broke and you’ll always be broke. They told David that your children can never achieve and grow. They told David that you have nothing of worth that should be preserved or protected.
I’m in a school, but the Devil has been, is, and always will be a liar. I’ll be back later in the week. I will finish my lecture. I will provide you with a gift, if between now and then I can secure it for each and every one of you that you will be able to use any day, anywhere, anytime.
I want to thank you for what you all were able to accomplish on the standardized assessments at the elementary and the middle and the high school level. In a few minutes you will see it for yourselves. The numbers do not lie. You did it. You did it because you rose to the challenge.
Say a prayer for my lovely wife. We are facing major health issues. She said, Michael don’t talk about that. Say a prayer for her. OK?
More importantly, you gonna teach these children in a few weeks. You gonna lead the teachers, right? And don’t let ever let anybody take you back to where we were. Don’t you go back there. Because I will always follow DeKalb, I will always love DeKalb. I’ll always have it deep in my heart.
And I want to thank you Dr. Johnson for allowing me to come to DeKalb at this critical moment. You know David went running into the valley, but no one else would go. I remember when the board called me that day and I was so impressed. I’m sitting there Saturday morning watching cartoons. I get this call, “I’d like to speak to Michael Thurmond.” I said this was he. He said, “Do you want to be the Superintendent of DeKalb County Schools?”
I said, “Hmmm … maybe.” And I hung up the phone and I said, you know what this is so cool. They have asked me to come to lead the third largest school district in the state of Georgia. I get over to the board and I found out that the first eight people they asked said ‘No’.
- College Admissions 101
- Graduation Schedule – DeKalb Schools Class of 2019
- DeKalb Schools 2018 CCRPI Scores
- Visitor and Volunteer Policy – Part II
- Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 2
- Make Chamblee Charter HS Better Not Bigger
- Free Speech … For Some At DeKalb Schools … Part II
- DeKalb Schools Visitor and Volunteer Policy
- DeKalb Schools 2018-2019 Calendar
- Make Lakeside HS Better Not Bigger
- DeKalb Schools 2018 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
- News & Updates – 8/30/2018
- Delay in New Austin ES Opening
- School Readiness Report 2018-2019
- GOP Governor Runoff – Kemp has the Mo
- DeKalb Teachers Get a 2.5% Raise And Start Stepping
- July 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Chamblee German Teacher Controversy
- June 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Dr. Donnie Davis – New Peachtree Charter MS Principal
- TSA & Annexation – Legal Update
- School Councils Are Now Principal Advisory Councils
- City of Brookhaven Not a Fan of Briarcliff HS Site
- Support for DCSD Bus Drivers
- DeKalb Schools FY 2019 Preliminary Budget
- DeKalb Bus Driver Sick Out
- Location of New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Where to Build the New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Policy Input – Magnet Students Participate in Sports
- Dunwoody HS Trailer Park
- Metal Detectors at YOUR School
- Building Additions – Project Plan and Schedule
- Student Protests Wed – The Plan – County by County
- School Safety – What's the Plan?
- News & Updates – 2/23/2018
- DeKalb Schools New Hires
- Mega High School Construction Update
- Virtual Learning Make Up Days
- Adequate Space Requirements For Mega High Schools
- Student Chromebooks – Update
- Survey – Making Up Days Lost to Inclement Weather
- Lakeside HS Council Not A Fan of the Building Additions
- DeKalb Schools Make Up Days
- DeKalb Schools 2018 – 2020 Calendar
- Which DeKalb Schools Are Beating The Odds
- Protesting Cheerleaders at DHS – The Whole Story
- 2018-2020 Calendar Options
- Emergency Weather – What's The Plan?
- Atlanta & Atlanta Public Schools Annexing DeKalb
- Kids Doc on Wheels Medical Van
- DeKalb Schools 2017 Turnaround, Priority & Focus Schools
- Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremonies Schedule
- 2018-2020 Calendar Update
- DeKalb Turnaround Eligible Schools Trends 2015-2017
- DeKalb Schools – Free Speech….For Some?
- Adding Classrooms is Only Part of the Soluion
- DeKalb Schools Enrollment Capacity Data
- Concerns about Lakeside HS Expansion
- DeKalb Schools 2017 CCRPI Trends
- DeKalb Schools Extends Days in November
- 2017 DeKalb Graduation Rates By High School & Demographic
- Emory Annexation and DeKalb County Schools
- DeKalb Schools – Students Kneel During National Anthem
- Teaching Sexual Behavior Standards At School
- Make Up Days – Public Input
- Plan B – Make-Up Schedule
- Make-Up Schedule – DeKalb Schools
- School Make-Up Days
- DeKalb Schools is Back in Business
- School Recovery Report – DeKalb Schools
- Detailed Status Report – DeKalb Schools
- News & Updates – DeKalb Schools – 9/10/2017
- Google Classroom Vs VERGE – Feedback
- Where Is The New Cross Keys HS Going
- Carstarphen And APS Desire To Expand Into DeKalb
- DeKalb Schools Responds To Poor Curriculum, Assessments and Planning Templates
- Feedback – Curriculum & Assessments
- Trailers at Cross Keys High School
- Monday Solar Eclipse – The Plan
- DCSD Home Football Tickets Now Available Online
- New & Vacant Principals & Assistant Principals
- DeKalb Schools Digital Dreamers
- New Laptops For All DeKalb Teachers and Students
- DeKalb Schools Extends School 1 Hour For Solar Eclipse
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Assistant Principals
- Tom McFerrin, Dunwoody HS Principal, Is OUT
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Principals
- What is the Purpose of Public Schools
- Principal and Teacher Vacancy Report And Selection Process
- TSA – Summary Judgement
- Billboard Marketing Campaign
- DeKalb Schools Convocation 2017
- DeKalb Schools – New Fund Raising Policy (KEB)
- Deficit Spending At DeKalb Schools FY2018
- DeKalb Schools FY2018 Tentative Budget
- New Doraville Elementary School – Update
- DeKalb Schools Announces Proposed Property Tax Increase
- City Building Permits For The School District
- Flooding Failing Schools With Money And Employees