At the 10am Board Meeting this morning, the DeKalb Schools administration will request that the Board of Education approve the following 2020-2021 calendar.
As a Strategic Waiver School System, the DeKalb County School District has flexibility from identified state statutes and associated rules. The District may depart from the strict interpretations of the definition of school year, school month, and school day; therefore, the Calendar Committee reconvened to consider the following calendar attributes:
• 179 days of instruction for the year – 91 number of instructional days in first semester and 88 second semester
• 185 contract days for teachers – 88 number of instructional days in first semester and 97 second semester
• First day of school for students – Monday, August 17, 2020
• All teacher pre planning and learning institute / professional development days will be virtual
• Last day of school for students – Friday, May 28, 2021
• Adjustment to the school calendar of 5 days for 10-month employees that includes one evening workday comprised of four conference nights during the year (This is an official work schedule reduction in contracted days.)
• 4-Day Professional Development Institute (August 5-7, 2020 and January 15, 2021)
1. The school district will pay for 185 work days. The Learning Institute is paying for 4 days. That makes for 1 furlough day and a total of 189 teacher work days.
Teachers will get paid a stipend on the 4 learning institute professional development days. The stipend amount hasn’t been determined, but the administration hopes it will be equivalent to their regular salary day. This learning institute professional development will be virtual. The district has been putting this together since April. It will be funded with Title I, Title II, CARES, unused travel/pro development and various other reclaimed budget line items.