Video – Work Session
Video – Business Meeting
Recap – Work Session
Dr. Thompson – The Executive Leadership Academy was started under Dr. Atkinson to support district goal #2 at that time which stated excellence in education personnel. The DeKalb School Board approved the first year of this last year. The academy was designed to prepare potential district leaders for local and district level positions as opportunities were made available.
Requested Action – It is requested that the Board of Education approve the use of Race To The Top (RT3) Funds in the amount of $118,616 for the remaining 2013-2014 session of the Executive Leadership Academy.
Mayfield – How does this fit into our strategy of using RT3 funds? There are 5 categories of focus areas. Which focus area does this address?
[glossary slug=’interim-superintendent’]Interim Superintendent[/glossary] – We want to re emphasize this was an initiative of the previous Superintendent. You all can share what her vision was.
Dr. Jose Boza (Director of the School District Charter Office) – The vision of the previous Superintendent was to address goal #2 under the education and excellence plan which was to look at leadership development in the district and develop a strong succession plan for leaders in the district.
Mayfield – Where there some specific competencies we were supposed to be addressing beyond leadership?
Dr. Boza – This goes back to RT3 which looks at great teachers and great leaders.
Mayfield – What are our post plans for measuring the effectiveness of these dollars?
Dr. Boza – We do. As part of the RT3 funds, we measure each of our leadership academies on a monthly basis and sometimes yearly basis. We are looking at 4 things. The evaluation through Mercer, asking the students how they like the class. Tracking the participants through promotions. Using the leader keys performance standards and the central office evaluation instrument to determine how the participants are scoring in the exemplary range. We make sure the course work and research relates back to the school needs.
Mayfield – When do we expect to have the results of those measurements?
Dr. Bosa – We will have them after the 3rd year.
Mr. McMahan – Are we within the originally allocated budget?
Dr. Thompson – Yes
Mr. McMahan – Are there any guarantees these participants will stay at DeKalb Schools?
Dr. Thompson – As part of the agreement, they have to stay an additional 3 years.
Dr. Carter – Should we determine that we want to discontinue this program, how would this money be redistributed?
Dr. Thompson – We would have to meet with Dr. Beasley to determine where to spend it.
Dr. Morley – This is the 2nd year of the 3 year program?
Dr. Thomson – Yes
Mr. McMahan – What are the consequences if they don’t fulfill their agreement to stay for 3 years?
Dr. Boza – The contract with the participant says they will refund their entire amount if they leave the district early.
Dr. Johnson – Is there any opposition to putting this on the consent agenda? At least 3 people don’t want it on the consent agenda.
Recap – Business Meeting
Dr. Carter – This comes to us as year 2 of a 3 year program. We support the development of leadership, but I’m struck by the dollar amount of this proposal, $118K for 8 people. I have reservations for this expense with limited impact. I’d like to see these resources allocated to the bridge initiative and closer to the school house.
Dr. Morley – I agree in a sense with Dr. Carter. But, we already promised this program to them. There is no morality or ethics in cutting them off in the middle.
This is only the second year. If we commit to this, then we are also committing to a 3rd year as well or dumping them in year 3.
Staff – Year 2 is $118K. Year 3 is $99K.
Dr. Morley – Was there a contract with Mercer for 3 years?
Dr. Boza – The contract says we can pull out if we don’t have the funds.
Dr. Morley – Do we have the funds and have we committed those funds.
Dr. Boza – The contract was written per year. Funds cannot be committed over a multi year span.
Orson – We have no legal obligation to continue.
Mayfield – This $350K for the program is 1% of the funds. A part of RT3 is supposed to be for leadership development.
Dr. Boza – We are already spending over $300K. We have 2 academies. One for the New Principal Academy, first year. Another one for new Principals, 2nd and 3rd year.
Vote: Fails 4-5
- IEP Accommodations Neglected
- DeKalb Schools 2019 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting – Geographic Proximity – Austin And Doraville United
- DeKalb Schools 2020 Graduation Schedule
- Air Conditioning at Chamblee Charter High School
- Not Fans of the GO Bond
- E-SPLOST/GO Bond Discussion Materials
- 2019 Chromebook Rollout Update
- Cross Keys HS – 2019 Milestones Results
- Redistricting Dunwoody Cluster Elementary Schools
- Chamblee Charter HS – 2019 Milestones Results
- Dunwoody HS – 2019 Milestones Results
- DeKalb School Calendar 2020-2021 Update
- New Principals And Assistant Principals
- Functional School Restrooms By Law
- Smaller Schools Are Better Schools
- Public Meetings – GO Bond & E-SPLOST Projects
- Racially Insensitive Hairstyle Ban at Narvie Harris Elementary
- DeKalb Schools – 2019 Milestone Results Summary
- Moving the Magnet and the Middle School In Chamblee
- DeKalb E-SPLOST Program Budget and GO Bonds
- FY2020 Salaries & Budget
- Notice of Property Tax Increase
- FY2020 – Tentative Budget
- HR and Financial Disarray – Report From State Audit
- $3,000 Raise – Q&A With The CFO
- Yea or Nay – Graduation Ceremonies at GWCC
- $3,000 – Teacher Raises Around Metro Atlanta
- Superintendent Green – Resignation Letter
- Chamblee – Jester Community Town Hall
- Options To Address E-SPLOST Budget Issues
- FY2020 – Tentative Budget – No Raise For Teachers
- Austin Elementary in the Crier
- Jester Community Town Hall
- Naming – New Elementary School in Doraville
- First Amendment At DeKalb Schools
- E-SPLOST Budget Overruns and Projects on Hold
- Old Austin Elementary School – Need Input
- Gym Floor Space By High School
- 1,000 More Seats Are Coming to Dunwoody High School
- Employee Compensation Update – March 30, 2019
- Expected 2019 Graduation Rate
- State Attorney General Not A Fan of Mini Sessions
- New Visitor and Volunteer Policy
- Call For Independent Auditor and Ethics Officer
- Employee Compensation Update – Feb 27, 2019
- Procurement Assessment Indicates Fraud at DeKalb Schools
- Enrollment Forecasting – How Does That Work
- Smaller Schools Are Better Schools
- DeKalb Schools Board Public Retreat
- Need Input – New Salary Schedules
- News Flash – Compensation Letter
- News & Updates – 2/5/2019
- Building Additions Vs Redistricting & Consolidating
- Architect’s Preliminary Report Chamblee Charter HS Building Additions
- Questions – New Teacher Salary Schedule
- Chamblee Cluster 7-Year Enrollment Forecasts
- Announcement – Compensation & Classification Salary Adjustments
- Update On Phase 2 Salary Steps for All Staff
- Chamblee Redistricting Superintendent Recommendation
- Dunwoody 7-Year Enrollment Forecasts
- 2019 Salary Schedules And Comparison
- New Step Structures for DeKalb Teachers
- 2018 CCRPI
- Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 3
- College Admissions 101
- Graduation Schedule – DeKalb Schools Class of 2019
- DeKalb Schools 2018 CCRPI Scores
- Visitor and Volunteer Policy – Part II
- Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 2
- Make Chamblee Charter HS Better Not Bigger
- Free Speech … For Some At DeKalb Schools … Part II
- DeKalb Schools Visitor and Volunteer Policy
- DeKalb Schools 2019-2020 Calendar
- Make Lakeside HS Better Not Bigger
- DeKalb Schools 2018 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
- News & Updates – 8/30/2018
- Delay in New Austin ES Opening
- School Readiness Report 2018-2019
- GOP Governor Runoff – Kemp has the Mo
- DeKalb Teachers Get a 2.5% Raise And Start Stepping
- July 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Chamblee German Teacher Controversy
- June 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Dr. Donnie Davis – New Peachtree Charter MS Principal
- TSA & Annexation – Legal Update
- School Councils Are Now Principal Advisory Councils
- City of Brookhaven Not a Fan of Briarcliff HS Site
- Support for DCSD Bus Drivers
- DeKalb Schools FY 2019 Preliminary Budget
- DeKalb Bus Driver Sick Out
- Location of New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Where to Build the New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Policy Input – Magnet Students Participate in Sports
- Dunwoody HS Trailer Park
- Metal Detectors at YOUR School
- Building Additions – Project Plan and Schedule
- Student Protests Wed – The Plan – County by County
- School Safety – What's the Plan?