Dr. Ward Smith – This HR Report is inclusive of all activity since May of 2013. When teachers or employees terminate or do not report back for the 2013 – 2014 school year, we are required to utilize their last working date. In past board reports, you’ve seen terms since a particular point in time. This report includes the last working day of all employees listed.
This report shows we have a total of 793 new contracted employees. 328 new non contracted employees. 225 resignations and 46 terminations.
Coleman – Can we get an update on the number of open positions?
Dr. Ward Smith – We started school staff at 98.5%. On the first day of school we had a total of 59 instructional vacancies and 21 Title I vacancies. Today we have 41 instructional vacancies. Due to enrollment bursts in several areas, we have posted some new positions in the last 2 weeks. We have also received our Title I allocations and we have 11 Title I vacancies for a total of 52. Only one school has more than 2 home room, that means general education home room vacancies.
Orson – During the Summer you were trying to recruit out of the Chicago school system. Were you able to hire any teachers from there?
Dr. Ward Smith – We were not successful with the Chicago initiative. We hired some from Detroit Michigan.
Orson – Of the 41 instructional vacancies, is there a certified subject matter in each of those 41 class rooms?
Dr. Ward Smith – For the 41 vacancies we have, I don’t know if we have somebody certified. We could have subs in there. By the 10th day, we require a classroom to have an in field certified sub.
Orson – Since we’re past the 10 days since school started, we should know if we have certified subs.
Dr. Ward Smith – Some of these vacancies are only a few days old.
Orson – I’m told we are bumped up against waiver sized classes in many cases. We would like to get an analysis of class sizes.
Dr. Ward Smith – OK
[glossary slug=’interim-superintendent’]Interim Superintendent[/glossary] – Dr. Ward Smith mentioned the enrollment burst which is in many ways a compliment. As of September 4th, we have officially enrolled 99,703 students which is a record enrollment for DeKalb County. This controverted what has been a declining enrollment for several years. It speaks to the confidence of the parents in the system. We approach 100,000 students for the first time in this district.
McMahan – On the 99,703 number, is that K-12, charter, etc …
Dr Ward Smith – 99,7 I think it was almost 99,8 on Friday. It is inclusive of charter schools and PreK
It’s placed on the consent agenda without further discussion.
- Announcement – Compensation & Classification Salary Adjustments
- Update On Phase 2 Salary Steps for All Staff
- Chamblee Redistricting Superintendent Recommendation
- Dunwoody 7-Year Enrollment Forecasts
- 2019 Salary Schedules And Comparison
- New Step Structures for DeKalb Teachers
- 2018 CCRPI
- Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 3
- College Admissions 101
- Graduation Schedule – DeKalb Schools Class of 2019
- DeKalb Schools 2018 CCRPI Scores
- Visitor and Volunteer Policy – Part II
- Chamblee Redistricting Options – Meeting 2
- Make Chamblee Charter HS Better Not Bigger
- Free Speech … For Some At DeKalb Schools … Part II
- DeKalb Schools Visitor and Volunteer Policy
- DeKalb Schools 2018-2019 Calendar
- Make Lakeside HS Better Not Bigger
- DeKalb Schools 2018 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
- News & Updates – 8/30/2018
- Delay in New Austin ES Opening
- School Readiness Report 2018-2019
- GOP Governor Runoff – Kemp has the Mo
- DeKalb Teachers Get a 2.5% Raise And Start Stepping
- July 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Chamblee German Teacher Controversy
- June 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Dr. Donnie Davis – New Peachtree Charter MS Principal
- TSA & Annexation – Legal Update
- School Councils Are Now Principal Advisory Councils
- City of Brookhaven Not a Fan of Briarcliff HS Site
- Support for DCSD Bus Drivers
- DeKalb Schools FY 2019 Preliminary Budget
- DeKalb Bus Driver Sick Out
- Location of New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Where to Build the New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Policy Input – Magnet Students Participate in Sports
- Dunwoody HS Trailer Park
- Metal Detectors at YOUR School
- Building Additions – Project Plan and Schedule
- Student Protests Wed – The Plan – County by County
- School Safety – What's the Plan?
- News & Updates – 2/23/2018
- DeKalb Schools New Hires
- Mega High School Construction Update
- Virtual Learning Make Up Days
- Adequate Space Requirements For Mega High Schools
- Student Chromebooks – Update
- Survey – Making Up Days Lost to Inclement Weather
- Lakeside HS Council Not A Fan of the Building Additions
- DeKalb Schools Make Up Days
- DeKalb Schools 2018 – 2020 Calendar
- Which DeKalb Schools Are Beating The Odds
- Protesting Cheerleaders at DHS – The Whole Story
- 2018-2020 Calendar Options
- Emergency Weather – What's The Plan?
- Atlanta & Atlanta Public Schools Annexing DeKalb
- Kids Doc on Wheels Medical Van
- DeKalb Schools 2017 Turnaround, Priority & Focus Schools
- Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremonies Schedule
- 2018-2020 Calendar Update
- DeKalb Turnaround Eligible Schools Trends 2015-2017
- DeKalb Schools – Free Speech….For Some?
- Adding Classrooms is Only Part of the Soluion
- DeKalb Schools Enrollment Capacity Data
- Concerns about Lakeside HS Expansion
- DeKalb Schools 2017 CCRPI Trends
- DeKalb Schools Extends Days in November
- 2017 DeKalb Graduation Rates By High School & Demographic
- Emory Annexation and DeKalb County Schools
- DeKalb Schools – Students Kneel During National Anthem
- Teaching Sexual Behavior Standards At School
- Make Up Days – Public Input
- Plan B – Make-Up Schedule
- Make-Up Schedule – DeKalb Schools
- School Make-Up Days
- DeKalb Schools is Back in Business
- School Recovery Report – DeKalb Schools
- Detailed Status Report – DeKalb Schools
- News & Updates – DeKalb Schools – 9/10/2017
- Google Classroom Vs VERGE – Feedback
- Where Is The New Cross Keys HS Going
- Carstarphen And APS Desire To Expand Into DeKalb
- DeKalb Schools Responds To Poor Curriculum, Assessments and Planning Templates
- Feedback – Curriculum & Assessments
- Trailers at Cross Keys High School
- Monday Solar Eclipse – The Plan
- DCSD Home Football Tickets Now Available Online
- New & Vacant Principals & Assistant Principals
- DeKalb Schools Digital Dreamers
- New Laptops For All DeKalb Teachers and Students
- DeKalb Schools Extends School 1 Hour For Solar Eclipse
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Assistant Principals
- Tom McFerrin, Dunwoody HS Principal, Is OUT
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Principals
- What is the Purpose of Public Schools
- Principal and Teacher Vacancy Report And Selection Process
- TSA – Summary Judgement
- Billboard Marketing Campaign