Purchasing web filtering is a necessity in schools, for student safety, CIPA compliance, AUP adherence, and network security.
Gary L. Brantley (Chief Information Officer)
As we move to focus more on enablement and safety for teachers and students through technology, we are committed to enhance the educational experience while providing a safe environment at the same tim.
A web filter is software designed to restrict the websites a user can visit. Our current web filter doesn’t provide the versatility or safety components needed. In the past, teachers had to request from the IT department to unblock websites causing a huge delay. Teachers will now be able to unblock most sites.
We were also looking to increase safety by finding a solution that reports suspicious or irregular activities. This tool will provide weekly reports to principals on suspicious searches conducted by students and staff like “Explosives” and “Suicide” to name a few. This will allow the principals to be more proactive.
Dr. Tinsley (Director, Support Services- Department of Guidance, Counseling, and Mentoring)
We work to assist students socially, emotionally, academically in both proactive and reactive ways. The filtering and reporting solution will help us target students that may need our intervention to deter destructive behaviors.
The reports provided by the software will allow district officials to identify common websites that students may try to access. Identifying interest or involvement in potentially harmful behaviors that could impact student development.
The filtering capability will allow us to look at many demographic indicators that can be used to target our prevention efforts.
Dr. Michael Erwin
How easily and quickly can we update the keywords on the filtering list?
If something came to us, we could push it out immediately. We are absolutely going to block everything, which makes it easy for us. Now, it enables the teacher to unblock what they need to.
Would this be used for the employees as well as students? What is the filtering policy?
The plan is to block everything for everybody. Everyone will have access to unblock. For example, a central office employee, your credentials to log in to your computer are your credentials to bypass the filter. So, you’ll have a 4 hour period to bypass the filter. Once the period ends, it closes off. It’s not just for the schoolhouse, it’s for the entire district.
Will we still monitor the employees?
It applies to staff as well. Just because you bypass it doesn’t mean it doesn’t get recorded and reported. We will immediately get notified if certain sites are bypassed. IT will be the eyes and ears, but we are giving flexibility back to the staff.
Will this be done in conjunction with law enforcement? Where do we get these standards? Where does safety cross over into violation of privacy?
The filters will have trigger words. For example, “hanging game” or other words that might indicate harm. These triggers would notify us and help us identify clusters and help us target our efforts to those students more appropriately. Since we have the login information, we would know exactly who is accessing what.
It’s a thin line you’re talking about, the law enforcement piece. From safe schools and out public safety department being involved, they would navigate that part. From our end, we just want to be proactive. It’s a great litmus test to know exactly what our students are doing and thinking about that we may not be aware of.
Will this also work on personal devices in schools?
Brantley – Yes
Will you be able to identify a student’s device when they access the network. Like when they shut down access for CRCTs … let’s say when they go off the grid, we have an accountability measure in place to identify the device that actually accessed it?
A big surprise is coming. It’s awaiting our students when they return. All devices will have to be registered to access the network, even if you’re a guest or parent.
- DeKalb Schools 2018 Graduation Rates
- Redistricting For Schools in Chamblee & Brookhaven
- News & Updates – 8/30/2018
- Delay in New Austin ES Opening
- School Readiness Report 2018-2019
- GOP Governor Runoff – Kemp has the Mo
- DeKalb Teachers Get a 2.5% Raise And Start Stepping
- July 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Chamblee German Teacher Controversy
- June 2018 – New And Open Principal Report
- Dr. Donnie Davis – New Peachtree Charter MS Principal
- TSA & Annexation – Legal Update
- School Councils Are Now Principal Advisory Councils
- City of Brookhaven Not a Fan of Briarcliff HS Site
- Support for DCSD Bus Drivers
- DeKalb Schools FY 2019 Preliminary Budget
- DeKalb Bus Driver Sick Out
- Location of New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Where to Build the New Cross Keys Brookhaven High School
- Policy Input – Magnet Students Participate in Sports
- Dunwoody HS Trailer Park
- Metal Detectors at YOUR School
- Building Additions – Project Plan and Schedule
- Student Protests Wed – The Plan – County by County
- School Safety – What's the Plan?
- News & Updates – 2/23/2018
- DeKalb Schools New Hires
- Mega High School Construction Update
- Virtual Learning Make Up Days
- Adequate Space Requirements For Mega High Schools
- Student Chromebooks – Update
- Survey – Making Up Days Lost to Inclement Weather
- Lakeside HS Council Not A Fan of the Building Additions
- DeKalb Schools Make Up Days
- DeKalb Schools 2018 – 2020 Calendar
- Which DeKalb Schools Are Beating The Odds
- Protesting Cheerleaders at DHS – The Whole Story
- 2018-2020 Calendar Options
- Emergency Weather – What's The Plan?
- Atlanta & Atlanta Public Schools Annexing DeKalb
- Kids Doc on Wheels Medical Van
- DeKalb Schools 2017 Turnaround, Priority & Focus Schools
- Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremonies Schedule
- 2018-2020 Calendar Update
- DeKalb Turnaround Eligible Schools Trends 2015-2017
- DeKalb Schools – Free Speech….For Some?
- Adding Classrooms is Only Part of the Soluion
- DeKalb Schools Enrollment Capacity Data
- Concerns about Lakeside HS Expansion
- DeKalb Schools 2017 CCRPI Trends
- DeKalb Schools Extends Days in November
- 2017 DeKalb Graduation Rates By High School & Demographic
- Emory Annexation and DeKalb County Schools
- DeKalb Schools – Students Kneel During National Anthem
- Teaching Sexual Behavior Standards At School
- Make Up Days – Public Input
- Plan B – Make-Up Schedule
- Make-Up Schedule – DeKalb Schools
- School Make-Up Days
- DeKalb Schools is Back in Business
- School Recovery Report – DeKalb Schools
- Detailed Status Report – DeKalb Schools
- News & Updates – DeKalb Schools – 9/10/2017
- Google Classroom Vs VERGE – Feedback
- Where Is The New Cross Keys HS Going
- Carstarphen And APS Desire To Expand Into DeKalb
- DeKalb Schools Responds To Poor Curriculum, Assessments and Planning Templates
- Feedback – Curriculum & Assessments
- Trailers at Cross Keys High School
- Monday Solar Eclipse – The Plan
- DCSD Home Football Tickets Now Available Online
- New & Vacant Principals & Assistant Principals
- DeKalb Schools Digital Dreamers
- New Laptops For All DeKalb Teachers and Students
- DeKalb Schools Extends School 1 Hour For Solar Eclipse
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Assistant Principals
- Tom McFerrin, Dunwoody HS Principal, Is OUT
- Meet DeKalb Schools' New Principals
- What is the Purpose of Public Schools
- Principal and Teacher Vacancy Report And Selection Process
- TSA – Summary Judgement
- Billboard Marketing Campaign
- DeKalb Schools Convocation 2017
- DeKalb Schools – New Fund Raising Policy (KEB)
- Deficit Spending At DeKalb Schools FY2018
- DeKalb Schools FY2018 Tentative Budget
- New Doraville Elementary School – Update
- DeKalb Schools Announces Proposed Property Tax Increase
- City Building Permits For The School District
- Flooding Failing Schools With Money And Employees
- Metro Atlanta Teacher Salary Analysis
- New Fundraising Policy
- Update – DeKalb School Board Meeting 5/15
- Under-Performing Principals Reassigned
- DeKalb Schools Estimated Budget
- My Graduation Ceremony – Open Letter To DCSD
- Austin Elementary School Replacement Project Update
- Principal Norman Sauce – Chamblee Charter High School
- Plan For More Trailers in Dunwoody and Chamblee
- Another Cover Up in Dunwoody