Chamblee HS Gym Renaming
Mr. Theodore ‘Teddy’ Carter was a long time coach, mentor, para-professional and campus supervisor who served Chamblee Charter High School for thirteen years. Mr. Carter passed on May 7, 2015 at the age of 58. The DeKalb County School District recognizes the contribution of Coach Teddy Carter and honors him by re-naming the school gymnasium in his honor.
Purchase of AP Exams
The State of Georgia covers the cost for one Advanced Placement(AP) exam for students who are served by Free & Reduced Lunch. The school district will purchase one additional AP Exam for all students.
School-based contracts are scheduled to go out on March 21st through April 1st. Staff will have ten business days to sign their contract. Should a staff member’s contract be delayed for any reason, delay letters will be sent from HR to principals for staff distribution on March 18, 2016.
Cross Keys Redistricting Plan
The final Cross Keys Redistricting Plan was approved on Monday. Roughly 1700 students, mostly elementary and all originating from Title I schools, will be redistricted this Fall 2016. Receiving schools include Chamblee HS, Fernbank and Briar Vista ES.
Access To TSA
Until now, only Tax Sheltered Annuity (TSA) participants who have terminated their employment with the School District had access to their account balances, even though they are beyond the age of 59 ½. The plan has been amended to grant participants the right to make in-service withdrawals any time after they reach the age of 59 ½ years.
On the May 24, 2016 ballot, the DeKalb County School District will bring forth a referendum as described here for an Education Special Purpose Local Options Sales Tax (E-SPLOST). Timeline of events:
- February 1, 2016: Board approves joint resolution and high-level budgets. (Complete)
- March 11, 2016: Primary data posted on website (Facility Assessments, Enrollment, Capacity) (Completed)
- March 2016: Initiate public meetings for Secondary School Facility Planning and Feasibility Study
- May 24, 2016: E-SPLOST Referendum vote
- June 2016: Conclusion of public meetings for Secondary School Facility Planning and Feasibility Study
- July 2016: Public meeting presenting systems data and proposed project selection criteria (tentative Jul. 19)
- September 2016: Five regional meetings to discuss draft detailed project list (tentative Sep. 13, 15, 19, 20, 22)
- November 5, 2016: Board discussion at Committee of the Whole on the proposed detailed project list and schedule
- December 7, 2016: Board approval of final detailed project list and schedule
- July 1, 2017: Sales tax collections commence for next five-year E-SPLOST period