Pay Raises For Teachers
And Other Certified School Based Employees
Based on an analysis, conducted by the DeKalb Schools Department of Human Resource, of five metro Atlanta school districts, not including Atlanta Public Schools, it was determined that the metro districts pay teachers with 7-17 years of completed experience an average of $2,000 to $14,000 dollars higher annually than DeKalb County Schools. Teachers with less than 7 and more than 17 years experience were found to be making more than the metro average.
On Monday, the board appropriated $21.5 million on an annualized basis for a mid-year salary adjustment. Affected employees will see the adjustments in their January 15, 2016 paycheck. More than 8,700 employees including 6,000 teachers will receive a pay raise. The plan is to increase teachers’ salaries to the metro averages for those with 7 to 17 years of experience. All other teachers will receive a 2% increase.
It is noted that counselors are attached to the teacher salary schedule and are generally underpaid compared to their counterparts in neighboring districts. The board will look into rectifying that in the upcoming 2016-17 budget.
Comp Plan Details
• Teachers – Teachers with 7-17 years of completed experience will receive an increase of up to $14,000 to make their salary comparable to the average annual salary of other metro Atlanta school districts. All other teachers will receive a 2% pay raise.
• Principals – High Schools – 5%; Middle Schools – 3%; Elementary Schools – 2%; All Assistant Principals – 2%.
• Pre-K Teachers – Certified Pre-K Teachers will transition from a flat rate to the DeKalb Teachers salary schedule based on valid GAPSC certification and completed experience.
• Parapros – Instructional paraprofessionals will receive a 1-2% salary increase based on current salary placement.
Other certified school based professionals on the DeKalb Teachers salary schedule will receive the same raises as the teachers on that schedule. Those employees include Media Specialists, Counselors, Psychologists, Lead Teachers for Special Education, Social Workers, Academic Coaches, Instructional Specialists.
Q & A
When will raises be seen in paychecks?
- January 15, 2016.
Why was APS excluded from the equation for determining salary adjustments?
- Due to a much larger tax base, Atlanta Public School’s teacher salaries were excluded.
Which school districts were included in your study?
- Cobb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Clayton, and Henry.
How much will the total cost be to the District?
- $21.5 million on an annualized basis.
Supplemental Retirement 2% Match Program
The Board of Education also adopted the Supplemental Retirement 2% Match Program. Under this program, the BOE will contribute 2% of an employee’s base salary into a 403(b) account for employees who meet the following criteria:
- Full-time employees who have completed at least five (5) years of full-time continuous employment after January 1, 2011 AND
- Contribute to Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRS) or Employees’ Retirement System of Georgia (ERS) AND
- Invest at least 2% of their base salary into one (1) 403(b) account with one of the four BOE approved optional Investment and Retirement Providers.
School Based Certified Personnel Comp Plan
January 11, 2016 – Description, research and analysis behind DeKalb Schools’ employee comp plan. Teachers will receive an increase of up to $14,000 to make their salary comparable to the average annual salary of other metro Atlanta school districts. Affected employees will see the adjustments in their January 15, 2016 paycheck.
Pay Raises For Teachers
December 9, 2015 – More than 8,700 employees including 6,000 teachers will receive a pay raise in their January 15, 2016 check. Teachers will receive an increase of up to $14,000 annually.
DeKalb Principal Salary Schedules
December 6, 2015 – For many years I’ve been concerned about the inconsistencies in principal compensation. Dr. Jackson-Davis answers a few general questions I had about principal salaries.
* DeKalb Teacher Salary Schedule
* Fulton Teacher Salary Schedule
* Gwinnett Teacher Salary Schedule
* Cobb Teacher Salary Schedule
* Clayton Teacher Salary Schedule
* Henry Teacher Salary Schedule